Sunday 19 September 2010

Box for Blings and Fings

Well, I am here with another box, well not quite a box but you can keep things in it... and I really enjoyed making it too.  It's based around a chest of drawers at the bottom, the template for which I found here http://apathofpaper.blogspot.com/2010/08/4-drawer-easel-card-for-h2h.html but I changed the easel part and adapted it slightly.  I remember making a set of drawers in primary school many many years ago but they didn't come out like this, which is why I abandoned the idea back then and started making a stagecoach instead... ok well I was probably the only 8 year old I knew back then who was obsessed with Adam and the Ants and it was the Prince Charming era. That turned out a lot better but I have no idea what happened to it, though it may well still be stashed somewhere in my parents' attic lol

I hadn't used my starburst stains for a while and I wanted a misty sort of effect to co-ordinate with the sweet pea image I used this time, Ching-chou kuik's Faraway Moon.  The moon is embossed with silver pearl to give it a shimmer and the image is coloured mainly with denim blue and powder blue promarkers, touched up in areas with my trusty gelly roll pens.  Not found anything else yet to add a bit of sparkle which is so easy to use and doesn't involve me getting in a glittery mess. I think I have captured the shimmer quite well on this pic.



At the front of the box, as the stop for the easel, I have used a piece of plasti-roc which I have stamped into and then painted with carpathian bluebell starburst stain and embossed to highlight the details of the moon and sun on it.  I suddenly hit on the idea that it might work a few days ago and I am pleased with the results, though I do have to say trying to emboss using a clear embossing pen on a semi-porous material can be a bit tricky...

I was lucky a few weeks ago as a family friend went to the states and brought me back a load of craft stuff, mainly embellishments as they can be so expensive over here.  I used quite a few embellishments from that haul today, namely the brackets, the sentiments and the blingy bits.  I think they call them rhinestones lol

Anyway, here's a pic with one of the drawers open so you can see it is actually quite functional.  Seriously skint this year so I think a few friends and family might be getting something similar for Xmas.  Hope my Dad will like it lol

 
So here is where I am entering this one:

Paper Play Challenges - All shapes and sizes
Crafts and Me - Easels
Creative Belli - B-themed embellishments (bow, brackets, blings)
The Sisterhood of Crafters - Simply Handmade
Southern Girls - Anything Goes
Paper Pretties - Pearls, rhinestones or glitter

8 comments:

  1. what a beautiful little project
    Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,
    This is lovely you have put so much hard work into your art and a new take on an easel card,
    thank you for joining crafts and me this week.
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous creation Sarah really beautiful. Thanks for joining us at Crafts and Me for our challenge this week. luv gina xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS drawer box!! Thanks for sharing it with us at The Sisterhood. Hope to see you again next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sending me your link! I'll be back to browse your blog when I have more time:) Awesome job on the Easel Box, it's beautiful. I love how the easel part is narrower than the box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute box! Thanks for playing with us at Creative Belli Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous creation Sarah!!!
    I'm so glad you shared it with us @ Creative Belli!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh sparkly fings!! Looks fab hun!

    ReplyDelete