Monday 4 April 2011

My other Mother...

I'm quite a lucky girl really as I have 3 people who I think of as 'Mum'.  The first being my Mum, always been there for me (despite a few dodgy patches, she has come through for me) and naturally I do her a card each year.  I have already done her card, it's the green one with the teddy on it.  Then there is my partner's Mum.  Her's is the lilac fairy.  So that just leaves one Mum to make for, and that is my ex's Mum, Jean, my elder son's Grandma.  Since my son was born she has been there for me 100% of the time.  She's helped me out wherever she could, listened to my happy tales and been there as a shoulder to cry on when I have needed one and been the best possible friend I could ever hope for.  She's going through a bad time at the moment herself as her Mum has been diagnosed with cancer and as she is an elderly lady we're not expecting her to be with us much longer, so I wanted to make a special card for her this year to let her know we're all thinking of her at this hard time.

The image I have used is a Sweet Pea stamp, Ching Chou Kuik's Ladybug.  Isn't it just adorable?  I really loved colouring this one with my promarkers and I worked with a few different red pens and a touch of blender pen to create the shiny wings. The flowers are coloured with antique pink and amber with various yellows worked in.  The leaves are leaf green with emerald and moss green.  I trimmed the image with my deckled nestie and then had a rummage about for a piece of paper I had made with starburst stains ages ago, cut that with the next nestie size up and ran it through my sizzix in a flowery embossing folder.  Because Jean (who makes cards herself) is very much a perfectionist, I deliberately set the main image off at an angle, mainly because then I wouldn't have to panic about getting it straight lol

I made my own design paper for this one, choosing a simple flower and stamping it out with orange versamark ink.  I love this stamp, it was only 99p in Hobbycraft and is a Cling-it one.  I then embossed in gold some leafwork in a band across the centre and added some see-thru gold ribbon diagonally across the centre.  I used one of my new nestie shapes to cut the scrolly bit out of a bit more of the paper I had useed earlier and coloured some paper flowers to match the colours of the flowers on the main image.  The smaller flower was already an amber colour but I tied it in a bit more with a few touches of antique pink.

To make the card personal to Jean (as it doesn't seem right putting Mum on the card!) I added her name in gold to the bottom of the image.  I then finished with a couple of red gems.

I would like to enter this for the following challenges:

Off the Wall Craftiness - Colour inspiration - this is where I chose the colour scheme :-)
Passion for Promarkers - Bugs
PaperCrafting Journey - For the Ladies in Your Life
Sparkles Forum - Springtime
Paper Sundaes - Spring Blossoms
Creative Inspirations - Mother's Day
Sweet Pea Stampers - Pack a Punch
In a Sweet Pea Dream - "Hello Spring" Sweet Pea
I Love Promarkers - Emboss It

19 comments:

  1. your 'extra' Mum will love this special card Sarah and she will love it even more because you made it...gorgeous card
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love the image you've used (and i havent seen it before) and your colouring is fab! Thanks for joining our challenge at PFP:=)
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty card, very spring like, love the cute image too.

    Thanks for joining us at SFC, good luck.

    Huggies Angel

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous card sarah.i love the stunning ladybugs and fab colours and details.
    thanks for joining us this week at PFP :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really pretty, bless you for joining us at creative inspirtaions,this week,hugs cheryl xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card and such wonderful colours!! She sounds such a special lady.

    Thanks for joining us over at SPS Love Chanelle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah, what a gorgeous card. I'm sure Jean was thrilled with it. Beautiful image and your colouring is perfect. Thanks for joining us at PFP this week. Hugs, Denise x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable card Sarah, cute bug, thanks for playing along at PFP.

    Hugs

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a really lovely card. Thanks for taking part at I ♥ Promarkers this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your creation is a masterpiece!!

    Thanks for joining us at In A Sweet Pea Dream!
    KymKreates
    DT Sweet Pea

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fresh and pretty! Great coloring!
    Thanks for joining us at Paper Sundaes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this is beautiful! The ladybird is gorgeous! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Sarah! I never did a easel card but want to do one.. but I never imagine a Triple Easel Card! Congrats you did a Totally Gorgeous card!
    Good Luck!
    -Sony
    Sonia-Studio60

    I'm your new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How blessed are you to have three Mums to help you through the good times and the bad and vice versa. This card is lovely, bright and cheery and hope Jean will take comfort in this card when she's going through such a difficult time with her own mum. Thanks for taking part in the Sweet Pea Stampers Challenge this fortnight and best of luck. We hope to see you back again very soon. Best wishes, Kym, Sweet Pea Stampers Design Team xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. fantastic image and lovely colouring

    Good luck in the challenges, hugs Sarah-Louise My Blog

    Designing for:
    Crafty Purple Frog , Sweet Pea Stampers ,Bearly Mine Designs and Kenny K

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable card I love this image and the way you have used it.Thanks so much for joining us at Sweet Pea Stampers hugs Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card, I love the ladybird! Thanks for taking part in the Sparkles Forum Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very pretty card!!! Thanks for playing at OTWC this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super pretty card x
    I love that ladybird.
    Thanks for joining in with us at papercrafting journey this week x
    ((hugs)) Suzie xoxo

    ReplyDelete