Sunday 6 March 2011

Under the sea...

Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent.
H. P. Lovecraft


Do you know sometimes you are browsing in an art and craft shop and you spot something which takes your eye, but you can't figure out where or when you will make use of it?  Happens a lot to me!  Happened a couple of months back when I picked up the stamp I have used for this card.  I have no idea who makes it as it was on the sale table and has no branding on it whatsoever, so if you can shed any light, please let me know as I would love to know what make it is!


It is quite an ususual stamp and I have another one like it which is a jungle scene, so I don't think it is a one off. I have coloured it using promarkers in blues and greys.  All the time I was colouring it, it has reminded me of a cartoon which was in Viz called The Pathetic Sharks!  They do look a bit daft and childish with their goofy teeth, don't they?  The stamp, when trimmed, fits perfectly inside the largest of my scalloped nestie circles and I cut out from a piece opaper I had sprayed with some cosmic shimmer mists.  I don't know what is wrong with the spray bottles on these, but the last two I got leak when you shake them so I invariably end up with dyed hands.  My first two bottles were fine and are no trouble at all but these two seem determined to make me look like a Smurf or an extra from Avatar! Ah well, no pain no gain eh?


I wanted to include something to give the impression of waves and hit upon the idea of using my Cuttlebug honeycomb die but just using the offcut it leaves behind.  I used some silver leaf flakes to create the stripe using a strip of DST and a soft brush.  Wasn't sure if that technique would work but was pleased that it did.  I then created another paper using some more cosmic shimmer mists on photo paper and added some embossing powders whilst wet then heated with my heatgun to create more shimmer.  I cut a perfect square out of it and then matted onto a dark blue square which I had stamped with a texture stamp in silver.  I then used some blue and green chalks to soften the edges of the card and then I used an Inkadinkado stamp stamped over the top with more silver to create a few air bubbles and added three pearls for the final touch.


I would like to enter this for the following challenges:


Crafts and Me - Under The Sea
Shannon's Sentiments - Spray Misting
Fairy Tale Challenge Blog - Something for a child
Aifactory Challenges - Water project
Desert Island Crafts - Fits the following: 2. Inspired by Nature, 4. Hand colored image, 6. Pearls, 8. No sentiment on the front

20 comments:

  1. This is fab! Love the colouring :-) Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a lovely card! My son would love the shark! Thank you for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge! xx Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah your card is very beautiful, an amazing underwater world.
    Thanks for joining us at Fairy Tale Challenge.
    * Karla **

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable. Gorgeous colours and such a cute image. Thanks for joining us over at the Fairytale Challenge and good luck. Hugs, Hanna (guest designer)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute card!!! The spray mists do seem to have a crazy mind of their own something and seem to get their color and shimmer everywhere. Thanks for playing along with our Sentiments challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hee hee, what a fab stamp, their expressions are hilarious! Love the silver leaf and bubbles too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for playing along on the Ai Factory Challenge Blog. What a cute card! I love the way the shark seems to be coming right out of the card. He's got a cute grin as well.

    Allie Gower
    Ai Factory Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Lovecraft fiend I see! I have peered and peered but cannot see Cthulhu in the pic! Perhaps that explains the Shark's expression though. Great card!

    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunner of a card, just love the colouring on your image!
    Thanks for joining us at AiFactory this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great stamp! Your card is brill.

    There is a little something for you on my blog, the post underneath the DT one. CoB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, ha. Love that shark. What a creative card! Thanks for playing with us at AiFactory this week!

    JanR - AiF dt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great stamp.The shimmer is just the thing for this undersea card.Thanks for joining us at AiFactory :D
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great card.
    Thanks for joining us at the Fairy Tale Challenge.
    Hugs Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh
    How super cute is this!
    I love the fab wee faces and the fab gorjuss colours!
    Hugs Melly xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a pretty card.:) Your colouring is great!!
    Thanks for joining us at FTC this week, hope to see you soon.:) ~~hugs~darling Ho~~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous card love the image.
    Thank you for joining us girlies over at Crafts & Me, good luck.

    Hugs Vicky xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Tee Hee I love the pathetic sharks and Lennie from shark tale too! Fab make hunny, fits nice with the nesties! Thank You for playing my ‘Under the Sea’ Challenge at Crafts & Me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great card. Thanks for joining us at Shannon's Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look at all that shimmer!!!! Beautiful! Thanks for playing with Shannon's Sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It happened to me too! I´m currently in Argentina, and I see crafts every day. The thing is that I´m in the neighbourhood of Palermo and there are a lot of fairs here in the different squares like Plaza Armenia and Plaza Serrano. the buenos aires apartment I´m staying in is also close to the Alto Palermo Shopping Mall so everything I see I want to buy. I´m gonna have to take it easier...
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete