Thursday 16 December 2010

Inside out upside down

Every so often, I find inspiration to make something and then struggle to pull the rest of the idea together... this was one such occasion!  I found a template for making a pop up Christmas tree centre for a card and loved the idea so much I had to have a go.  I cut it and folded it where it needed, then coloured it with forest green and the background with black promarkers and thought hmmm that worked, but it needs something else!  I bought some tiny little beads from Hobbycraft in their January sales this year and they have just been sitting in the bag not doing anything since then, but I thought they would look good threaded onto the tree like lights so I punched a lot of holes with my pokey tool, and stitched with gold thread and added a bead in every other stitch and there it was, a nice little decorated tree to go inside a card, so I backed it onto some glimmer mist card and stitched it all together with gold thread and added a little punched star to top the tree... only problem was I hadn't got a clue what to do on the outside of the card!

I decided to have a backing paper making session the other night and made green papers.  I don't usually work with green, red is my favourite colour, but I made some green card sparkly with some starburst stains and when it had dried, I stamped it up with my wordy stamp and embossed it with gold.  I just love how the gold I have works, it really does look like it has been gold plated and it added just the right amount of bling.  I then roughed up the edges with my deckle edged ruler and then back it onto some black paper, trimmed to size and then covered the card front with some red glimmer mist card I made a while ago and stuck the topper onto that.  Used my sizzix corner accents with black paper and decorated 2 of the corners of the sentiment panel and then had brain freeze for a few hours as I couldn't decide what to do with it next!  The more I looked at it, the less I could think what to do with it, so I just left it to go back to.  Passing the pram in the hallway I suddenly remembered some black chiffon ribbon I had bought a few weeks ago which was still in the basket at the bottom of the pram - so THAT's where I had put it lol  Fashioned a bow with it and placed it at the bottom of the card and still couldn't thing how to decorate the top.  Then I thought hang about!  I've got more beads so I threaded some more onto wire and looped them round a couple of black brads.  I'm pretty into triple embossing at the moment and found I had a little cute tree chipboard shape so attacked it with the gold embossing powder and then stamped into it with a snowflake.  It looks like a piece of jewellery now, perfect to finished off the top of the card as it now looks like a necklace.

The inside of the card needed a little extra, so I cut out some more accent corners using scraps of the glimmer mist card and was about to stick them on when I spotted the underside of the card was quite interesting as it was white with red splashes and stood out much better on the black and red lining so used it that way round instead and hence the upside down title lol

I would like to enter this for the following challenges:

OSAAT - Anything Goes
Allsorts - Last Minute Christmas

6 comments:

  1. Awesome job! Looks like you pulled it together perfectly...lol Love your design.

    Thanks for joining us at OSAAT. Happy Holidays and creative crafting in the New Year.

    Hugs, Marjo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming Card! I love the colors, and the lettering. And kudos on those cut out corners!

    Thank you for sharing it with us at OSAAT this month. We look forward to seeing you and your lovely creations in the new year!

    Jess
    Floppy Latte Designs@StitchyBear Digital Stamps

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great christmas card.
    Thanks for joining us at OSAAT this week.
    Best wishes, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super card!!
    Thank you for joining us at OSAAT this week,hope to see you again in the new year
    hugs
    laney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card, I love the Christmas tree and your words are beautifully embossed, thanks so much for joining us at OSAAT, wishing you and yours a Happy Holiday Season
    Deborah
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous card - thanks for joining our final 2010 challenge at OSAAT
    Merry Christmas,
    Hugs,
    Deb x

    ReplyDelete